Post Advertising Yard Signs For Maximum Impact
For independent contractors and home renovation companies, full color yard signs can be an inexpensive yet effective advertising medium. These yard signs offer a number of advantages versus broad-brush promotional streams such as mailbox inserts/flyers, telemarketing, or radio/television commercials. These benefits include:
- Demonstrating workmanship through direct publicity on the job site
- Distinctiveness – standing out from the crowd (of competitors)
- Message retention – better likelihood of recall by potential clients
- Budget management – more focused spending of marketing dollars
- Cost effectiveness – longer-lasting and reusable materials
Despite such distinguishing features, contractors and home renovation companies must be diligent in avoiding complacency when advertising with yard signs. In other words, they simply cannot place these signs anywhere on a job site and just ‘hope for the best’.
Full color yard signs must still be leveraged to gain maximum exposure and maximum impact. This leveraging, or increasing the potential for gain or influence, can be attained through the strategic placement of the yard signs when advertising a project/work in a local area. This is accomplished by placing the yard signs:
- On the job site when the contract is signed rather than when work begins
- In a central location on the job site that is elevated and/or unobstructed
- In secondary sites – advertising at the entrances to the street/complex
- Even when the work is not visible to passersby i.e.: for interior projects
With respect to posting full color yard signs in secondary locations, there are several options that may be of interest in terms of sign design:
- Keep advertising the same for primary and secondary locations
- Color scheme, content, size, font, message
- Add/incorporate directional arrows on/with secondary location signs
- Use opposite/reverse color schemes from primary site yard signs
- Use a teaser message instead of customary/standard message, e.g.:
- Home improvement just ahead
- Landscaping in progress – turn left/right here
- Roofing professionals on site (with a directional arrow)
Full color yard signs on a job site can be an extremely effective means of advertising your business and the quality of your workmanship. Thinking creatively and strategically when posting/placing these yard signs will generate the greatest impact, and the best return on your investment, in relation to attracting potential new customers.
How Many Advertising Yard Signs Should You Buy?
There is no secret to the fact that independent contractors and small businesses need to pay close attention to all expenditures, including:
- Employee salaries
- Business insurance
- Office overhead
Every dollar spent must be done so with a purpose, and when it comes to marketing and advertising, that purpose is to generate leads/opportunities, attract new customers, and increase revenues. When a decision is made to proceed with full color yard signs, one question that must be answered is: “How many of these yard signs should I buy?”
Obviously, your advertising budget versus the actual cost per yard sign will be a very important consideration/influential factor in this regard. However, keeping in mind that full color yard signs are an investment in attracting new customers and generating additional revenue, there is a process or formula for calculating a minimum inventory for your signs:
- On average, how many job sites are active at the same time?
- How many signs, primary and secondary locations, will be used per site?
- How many quotes (possible contracts) are pending at any given time?
- What percentage of these quotes is customarily won?
- How long will the signs be posted (before, during, and after the work)?
Based on the above, and on the assumption that at least three advertising yard signs will be used per job site (one primary and two secondary locations), if you have enough crew members to have five jobs active simultaneously and you usually have five more projects in waiting, you would require 30 yard signs, plus another 10 to 20 more to replace any that may be lost or damaged, for a total of 40 to 50 signs.
For the design and production of your advertising yard signs, call the professionals at Lawn Ads today at 1-866-529-6237. We can help you determine how many signs to produce and will deliver full color yard signs with an exceptional quality to ensure that your business gets noticed.